Collegiate Reporting

Collegiate Reporting

France supports Charlie Hebdo following Wednesday morning attack


No Comments

Click here to see the original story.

Twelve people were killed Wednesday morning in Paris during an apparent terror attack at satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Sylvain Gaulier, recent Suffolk graduate and former Journal staff member who currently lives in Lille, France, said this isn’t the first time the organization has been attacked.

“A newspaper has never been targeted and attacked this way before,” according to Gaulier. “However, these journalists were victims of other attacks in the past when their office was burned down. They may be protected by police, but not very well.”

Gaulier recalled that “Charlie Hebdo is famous for making fun of everything, including religions. They proclaimed themselves ‘atheist and champion of free speech.’”

Margaret Gilmore, a security analyst from the Royal United Services Institute believed the apparent terror attack had been clearly planned, based on a video BBC released on its website. The video shows alleged shooters with a getaway car. Analysts said the suspects have likely gone through military training in the past, pointing out the single shots fired during the attack, rather than random firing.

BBC reported there will be a major police operation to find the three gunmen who fled in the getaway car, which was found abandoned in Northern Paris later on that day.

Gilmore said to BBC after she watched the video, “They had a very obvious militant style. They had each other’s backs. They knew how to confront police officers. The had a getaway plan. They are people with some battlefield experience.” Gilmore also suggested that the attackers might be soldiers who just left Syria.

Gilmore identified Islamic slogans the suspects shouted, including, “We have avenged the Prophet Muhammad” and “God is Great.”

According to Gaulier, residents have started protesting in support of Charlie Hebdo and freedom of the press in French cities, including his own hometown, Lille, which held a protest Wednesday evening. There will be more protests in the next coming days.

“This is not the first direct attack against journalists,” Gaulier said, “but it sends a powerful message to journalists, and especially French journalists who express unfavorable opinions to the Islamists, such as cartoons of Mahomet.”

Governments across Europe told President Francois Hollande they would be his side and aid the country, according to reports by BBC.

“Terrorist attacks are relatively uncommon in France, even though we noticed a wave of isolated actions by Islamists against a targeted population in Western Europe,” said Gaulier.

According to the Daily Mail, people of France and Britain have declared tomorrow as a day of mourning. Many of the protesters who met in Paris, Madrid, and Berlin, have adopted the slogan of “Je Suis Charlie,” which translates to “I am Charlie.”

Others have raised a pen in silence to show they support freedom of expression, speech, and the press. At Place de la Republique in Paris, a banner hangs saying, “Nous sommes Charlie.”

Around midnight, France will be taking a moment of silence in order to remember the victims, according to BBC.

Advertisements
Collegiate Reporting

Suffolk remembers Isabella Gozzo


No Comments

Courtesy of the Gozzo Family

 

Click here to see the original story.

Isabella Gozzo could always be found perched in front of a TV in 150 Tremont on Sundays, completely focused on football.

“We would all laugh so hard at how intense Isabella was while watching the games,” said Jonathan McTague, a friend of the aspiring sports newscaster. “Cheering as loud as she could in the common areas.”

Friends and faculty said Gozzo had a clear direction in life. They remarked on not just her passion for the Patriots and Cowboys NFL teams, but also her love for electronic dance music.

“Those are the memories that will never fade,” said McTague, who remembered their cold-morning walks to their 8 a.m. math class, and all of the laughs they shared together with friends.

Gozzo, 19, died on Saturday in a car accident in Berlin, Connecticut. She was a freshman and communication and journalism major, according to a university spokesman.

“Isabella was one of the first people I met at freshman orientation and I never could have imagined the impact she would have on my life in such a short amount of time,” said Holly Driscoll, one of Gozzo’s closest friends at Suffolk. “Isabella’s passion for her family and friends, the Patriots and life is something I will never forget.”

Friends and former teachers remember Gozzo as a caring, compassionate person who loved to smile. For the fall semester, Gozzo took classes including Speak Up! and a Religious Experience course.

“Isabella and I met in seventh grade on the school bus, but it was not until eighth grade when we would become much closer,” said Gozzo’s friend Bradley D’Amato, who is also a Suffolk student. “She was always a very compassionate person. Isabella could cheer anyone up simply by being around them. She loved being around people, and people loved being around her.”

Chair of the communication and journalism department, Dr. Bob Rosenthal, had Gozzo in his introductory communication course. “It is a terrible tragedy. We will keep her family in our thoughts and prayers,” said Rosenthal.

“We are deeply saddened by the tragic passing of Isabella Gozzo, a member of the Class of 2018 and of our Suffolk family,” Suffolk University said in a statement. “We mourn her loss, and our thoughts and prayers are with her family, her friends and all who knew and loved her.”

Freshman Joshua Wong described Gozzo as an outgoing and open person, who was a fan of EDM. They bonded after discovering they were both planning to attend Ultra Music Festival in Miami in 2015.

Gozzo’s interests stretched beyond EDM. She and freshman Marcellous Govind bonded over their shared love of Batman, he said.

“I know she was especially fond of Danny DeVito’s Penguin and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Mr. Freeze. We had both promised each other that one day, we’d sit down and watch all the Batman movies, live action and animated, together. It hurts my heart that that day will never come.”

On campus, Gozzo was a member of Program Council on the traditions and special events committee.

Joe Nordlie, a member of PC, described her as “always smiling and laughing … caring, smart, and really funny,” and said she had “good ideas on how to make events bigger and better.”

Teaching Assistant Christian Woodruff said, “Isabella expressed a very lucid idea of what she wanted to do in life. Her class presentations were always well prepared, as she was able to incorporate both creativity and a pronounced awareness [to] her audience.

Professor Allen Thomas was in shock, adding that she was a “fine student” who just gave her final class presentation last Tuesday.

“Her soul radiated and you would admire it right away,” said Maya Cormier, who lived on the same floor as Gozzo in 150 Tremont.

“I’ll miss our breakfast dates and long talks,” Ashleigh Roebuck said. “I’d do anything to go back to that day we took a walk in the park and just connected. That was the day that I knew that I had developed a friendship that would last long after our four years of college.”

According to multiple media reports, Gozzo was remembered in a ceremony at her alma mater Cheshire High School Saturday night.

“I admired Isabella and will be forever grateful for having her by my side for these last few months,” said Driscoll.

Collegiate Reporting

Jeb Bush announces plan to explore 2016 bid


No Comments

Click here to see the original story.

Jeb Bush has weighed in and the Republican party has a potential first candidate for the 2016 election.

According to USA Today, Bush made a surprise announcement Tuesday, saying he is going to “actively explore” a 2016 bid.

This move was foreseen by the Miami Herald, who reported information from an unknown source that Bush has recently lost 15 pounds.

The former Florida governor told CNN reporters on Sunday he will release the 250,000 emails from his two terms sometime “early next year” and write an eBook on his governing philosophy.

Suffolk freshmen Colby Weron, who lived in Florida for two years before coming to Boston, identifies himself as a strong conservative, and said he feels as though Bush would be a good president, but not the best candidate.

“Jeb Bush would be an extremely productive and successful president, however, he would make for a miserable candidate. His family name precedes him, brandishing him with fear and discontent in the publics eyes.” Weron said, “As Governor, Jeb Bush expanded Florida’s economy by focusing on jobs, but also removing government from the equation and focusing on schooling and immigration issues. The true focus for 2016 should be to defeat Hillary, and Jeb would have the experience and political background to do so.”

As the brother of one former Oval Office occupant and the son of another, Bush has the opportunity to “frame” controversial topics, especially his support for the common core education policy and immigration reform, and even more so with the controlled release of his emails and book, as CNN pointed out.

The fact Bush is creating an eBook makes many think he is ready to modernize into a digital campaign, CNN said.

The book is said to include all of his finances and investments, including his venture for capital firms, overseas investments.

Freshmen Mike Bonetti who is a member of the SU Democrats said, “I think it’s a bit early to make an announcement, but with that, it’s my hope that Hillary Clinton will run and be the leading candidate for the democrats.”

According to Time, there have been several brief messages over Facebook and Twitter, where he said he discussed possibility of his candidacy over Thanksgiving weekend, deciding to proceed with preparing a campaign.

Although the Republican party have anticipated his announcement, he does face opposition from the base of the conservatives who believe his moderate positions on Common Core and immigration reforms to be “objectionable,” according to Time. Yet, Bush already made a statement earlier this month in Washington, where on a panel he said he was not going to change his positions in order to win the nomination.

Jeet Heer, a Canadian journalist, posted on Twitter Tuesday morning, “Last time the GOP won the White House without a Bush on the ticket was 1972.”

With Bush being the son of one president and the brother of brother, many feel as though this is an election sequel. NBC asks what the advantage of making the announcement so early does for Bush. NBC believes  it “scares off” others by showing how serious he is about running as New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and Kentucky Senator Rand Paul have the same backers in the party.

The 2016 Republican primary battle is already running as Rand Paul already has an ad against Jeb Bush on Google. According to Time, hours after Bush made his announcement to bid on the White House, an ad on Google would appear when Bush’s name was searched, which said “Join a movement working to shrink government. Not grow it,” with a link to RandPAC, his federal leadership committee, and a page asking supporters to give their information to “Stand With Paul.”

Time reported that Bush plans on forming a leadership PAC to allow him to travel the country and donate money to both state and local officials that could make this announcement official.

Collegiate Reporting

35 prisoners dead, overdosed on drugs


No Comments

Click here to see the original story.

Many of the families of prisoners in a jail in the northwest of Venezuela were notified that at least 35 have died after overdosing on the contents of a jail infirmary they stormed, a Congressman who remained anonymous told BBC News Saturday.

After allegedly breaking into the facility, the prisoners consumed a variety of medicines. In addition to the fatalities, more than 100 are being treated while 20 are in serious condition, according to William Ojeda from the governing Socialist Party. Before breaking into the infirmary, the prisoners were protesting the jail’s conditions.

Prison officials told Sky News on Saturday that the inmates had ingested medicines including pure alcohol and antibiotics after storming the infirmary at the David Viloria penitentiary centre in the western state of Lara.

According to BBC, the patients ingested a combination of anti-seizure drugs, insulin, antibiotics and hypertension treatments.

Because Venezuela has the highest crime and homicide rates in Latin America, the caseload for the judicial system continues to pile up as they struggle to investigate and solve the crimes as the prisons are becoming overpopulated as prisoners await trial.

Francisco Vivas, who graduated in May, is living in his home town of Monagas, Venezuela, before he returns to go to Suffolk Law School next fall to become a lawyer in criminal law.

“Here in my country, the situation about the government is very complicated because all the government officials, such as the president and vice president, participate in monopoly and corruption,” said Vivas. “Because of this, it makes it difficult to investigate any type of crime.”

According to BBC, during the time of the ingesting of the substances, other inmates were participating in a hunger strike, which had caused a riot. However, Sky News reports the prisoners were protesting the inhumane treatments prisoners went through at the hands of the prison staff.

After the staff took control over the revolt, the handcuffed inmates were forced into the morgue to identify the 35 bodies.

Despite what Ojeda reported, relatives of the inmates have stood outside the prison, accusing the warden of poisoning the inmates, while anxiously waiting to hear if their loved ones were among those dead. The chief prosecutor’s office commented to BBC, saying that they were interested in looking in and questioning the prison director because of the deaths.

According to reports from Sky News, the penitentiary center has a capacity of 850 inmates, but is currently housing 3,700.

Many prisons in Venezuela are currently occupied by armed inmates, with security having little or no control over the prisoners, the nongovernmental organization Venezuelan Prisons Observatory said to BBC. According to Sky News, the chief prosecutor office of Venezuela plans on filing charges on one of the staff members over the deaths.